In order to purchase one of the NACC’s highly regarded programs, the college must be a member of the National Association of Career Colleges.
The NACC Home Support Worker Program is designed based on the NACC Personal Support Worker Program which was developed in compliance with the Ontario Personal Support Worker Program Standard (January 2022). The NACC program content, standards and guidelines, combined with the clinical component of the program, ensure that the graduates have the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful as a Home Support Worker (HSW).
The HSW program prepares graduates to provide supportive care to individuals, including clients experiencing cognitive impairment, physical disability, and mental health challenges across their lifespan by assisting them with their activities of daily living.
The NACC program was developed and maintained by a committee consisting of consultants, program design experts, subject-matter experts from the Regulated College sector, employer groups and NACC staff. It has been updated to support hybrid learning for colleges with a Learning Management System (LMS).
Home support workers provide personal care and companionship for seniors, persons with disabilities and convalescent clients. Care is provided within the client’s residence, in which the home support worker may also reside. They are employed by home care and support agencies, private households, or they may be self-employed. Housekeepers perform housekeeping and other home management duties in private households and other non-institutional, residential settings.
Graduates may find employment in a variety of care settings in the following roles:
- Attendant for persons with disabilities – home care
- Family caregiver
- Home support worker
- Live-in caregiver – seniors
- Personal aide – home support
- Personal care attendant – home care
- Respite worker – home support
The range of services provided by a HSW is determined by the individual needs of each client and may include assistance with routine activities of living including personal care, mobility, home management, meal preparation, family care, and assisting with social and recreational activities. Home management such as shopping, light house cleaning and meal preparation, family responsibilities such as routine care giving to children and assisting with social and recreational activities might also be expected.
As front-line workers, Home Support Workers must develop a broad range of abilities beyond dexterity skills. They must provide not only for the comfort, safety, and well-being of their clients, but also demonstrate sensitivity and respect for those in their care. The attitude, abilities and approach of the HSW are critical to the well-being and health of the people they support.
The HSW will develop a skill / knowledge level that includes basic care and social service training. The scope of responsibilities for a HSW is as follows:
- Co-operates with all members of the health team
- Promotes safety and works in a safe manner
- Assists with walking, movement and positioning
- Assists with mechanical and physical lifts and/or transfers
- Assists with personal care, personal hygiene, dressing, including laundry related tasks
- Assists with meal preparation, grocery shopping, feeding, dietary planning, food handling
- Checks and records vital signs
- Teaches life skills
- Assists with range of motion exercise and other rehabilitative measures
- Practices universal precautions and maintains a clean working environment
- Provides emotional and social support services to care-receivers and their families
- Is aware of common allergies and related first aid measures
- Works as a supportive care worker for palliative care and hospice patients
- Observes and reports clinical and treatment findings, behavioural changes and changes in ongoing conditions.
- Maintains records, documents procedures
The NACC Home Support Worker program provides quality education and training for aspiring HSWs through comprehensive theory classes and two practicum placements.
Why You Should Hire a NACC HSW Graduate
Benefits to potential employers hiring graduates of the NACC Home Support Worker Program include:
- Assurance that graduates have been trained to meet established learning outcomes and program standards.
- Assurance that the graduate has the knowledge required to do the job as verified by third party testing.
- Assurance that the skills required to do the job have been verified in clinical settings prior to graduation.
NACC Final Theory Examination:
The NACC final examination is an on-line examination that evaluates the theory component of the training and determines whether the candidate has the required level of knowledge to do the job safely and effectively. The external setting for the exam and marking provide unbiased and consistent evaluation of adherence to the NACC HSW Program standard. To schedule your final exam, please speak with your college representative.
All students write the NACC final theory examination at the end of the placement.
Our Curriculum Partners:
We are pleased to partner with the following organizations to enhance the quality and effectiveness of our NACC Home Support Worker curriculum:
Life and Death Matters
Life and Death Matters has created the resources used to deliver Module 9 “Assisting the Dying Person” in the NACC Home Support Worker Curriculum. These resources include the textbook and workbook, Integrating a Palliative Approach: Essentials for Personal Support Workers (2nd Edition) by Katherine Murray (Life and Death Matters), as well as a catalogue of internet based resources, including presentations, podcasts, and videos. All materials help your students understand a palliative approach to care.
Advanced Gerontological Education (AGE Inc.)
NACC partners with AGE Inc. so that students can learn Gentle Persuasive Approaches (GPA) in Workshop 1 (“Gentle Persuasive Approaches”) of the NACC Home Support Worker Curriculum. GPA is a multi-disciplinary education program for everyone who interacts with older adults in the workplace.
To order curriculum please contact Sarah by email at email@example.com.